Each month something special happens in the sky giving us an opportunity to know ourselves better. At the new moon, happening Thursday February 15th, the sun and moon come closest to each other with the sun shining it's brightness on the moon. We are as humans a microcosm of the cosmos so when the sun (representing the conscious mind) illuminates the moon (representing our unconscious) we are able to bring to light the hidden subconscious parts of ourself.
As the sun and moon move through the sky each month they travel through different astrological locations making that month's location (zodiac sign) the prevalent energy at that time. This month, and new moon, the energy is Aquarius. Aquarius represents freedom. It's rebellious, eccentric, innovative and scientific. Aquarius is an air sign interested in future technologies and outer space. Aquarian energy fights for the freedoms of all beings and is interested in groups, especially social networks working towards a cause. Yet, Aquarius remains emotionally detached and steady.
What comes to mind when I think of an Aquarian person is "Doc" Brown the professor in the "Back to the Future" movies. He's a shocking loner presence who's willing to break the law to bring his scientific inventions into the world, yet he strives most for what's best for all of humankind. Aquarius is ruled by the planet Uranus and introduces shocking change in order to move society forward. Famous Aquarians include Susan B. Anthony, Abraham Lincoln, Oprah Winfrey and Ellen Degeneres.
This Thursday the sun, moon and Mercury (the planet of communication) will all be in the sign of Aquarius and we'll experience a solar eclipse which will magnify this energy. How are you feeling it in your life? Start paying close attention to your dreams. The other night I had a nightmare that along with a group of other women I'd been kidnapped by human traffickers, put in a cage and transported as cargo on a ship. I screamed "All I want is my freedom!" in terror as we sailed away. This dream represents one of the most prevalent energies of Aquarius, freedom, and a signal that it's the energetic theme on our planet right now. How is this theme of freedom coming up for you?
New moons are times for new beginnings and setting intentions in our lives. Here are some ideas of things to do this new moon which would be supported by Aquarian energy:
- Aquarius is about technology and social media groups so connect with your online Instagram friends or work on developing your website and online presence.
- Volunteer or donate to a cause that's important to you - Aquarius wants what's best for all of humanity.
- Wear something unique/futuristic or fashion forward such as silver nail polish or metallic flats.
- Speak your truth. Possibly through a blog post or in a group. Don't just agree with the group if it's not what you feel. Give your own unique perspective.
- Pay attention to birds or feathers you see and research the spiritual meaning as birds are an Aquarian animal.
- This is a good time to upgrade your technology (smartphone or computer) or join a new online community.
And Aquarian tools to incorporate into your home / new moon ceremony / altar:
- colors - blue and silver
- tarot card - The Star
- crystals - aquamarine and moldavite
- essential oil - lemon
- flower - orchid